February 17, 2015

diy baby: log cabin quilt wall hanging





I've wanted to try out a log cabin quilt block for ages. I'm drawn to this design because it's a traditional American quilt block with a long history and also because I love the symbolism behind it.

The square in the middle (most often red) represents the hearth, the light colour represents the side of the cabin in sunshine and the dark colour represents the side of the cabin in shadow.

Home is so important to us, so it seemed like the ideal block to turn into a wall hanging for Lily's nursery. Lily has nearly outgrown her moses basket so it won't be too much longer before she's in her own room.

It's been so long since I've pieced anything by machine, so it was nice to change it up a bit. I did hand quilt around the strips though! Although the block is very traditional, I decided to modernise it by choosing vibrant colours.

I'm drawn to brighter colours at the moment so that must mean Spring is on the way!


6 comments:

Hello! Thank you for leaving a comment, it's lovely to hear from you x