January 29, 2015

a frosty winter's morning



I took these photographs in our garden last week. After feeding Lily I looked out of the window and saw a blanket of frost stretching out across our neighbourhood. We have the most gorgeous view across the gardens from our bathroom window. I layered up, grabbed my camera and wandered out into the freeze to see what I could find.


Last summer's strawberry plants seem to be faring ok in this cold weather. I should probably have put them in the shed or at the very least covered them for winter. Having said that they were neglected last winter too and they were fine, so hopefully they'll fruit again this summer.



There isn't really much happening in our garden over winter. We planted a handful of summer bulbs, but I think we need to buy some shrubs to fill the spaces in the borders once the flowers have died down. We have huge swathes of lavender in one border and something which looks suspiciously like a privet in the other. If you have any recommendations for fast-growing plants with year-round interest, I'd love to hear them.




The low winter sun illuminated the old cosmos plants from my summer cutting garden. They looked so pretty in bloom, it was always such a joy to walk to the end of the garden and pick a vase full for the house. I need to pull those plants out when I have a spare moment. I can't wait to start planting again this year, I've been pinning ideas to my garden board if you'd like to take a look.

Follow Charmaine @ weald's board g a r d e n on Pinterest.

Joining in with Annie.


17 comments:

  1. Frost makes everything look so magical and pretty. My garden is fast asleep at the moment. A few daffodils are poking through and that's about it currently. Off to have a look at your garden board. I need the inspiration! Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. frost is so pretty isn't it! I was absolutely freezing after taking these photos though :) x

      Delete
  2. Gorgeous, frost is so pretty. A wonderful wander through your garden x #hdygg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love that first shot and the one of the grass, it all looks so pretty - it'd be great though if it was just a little warmer ;) #hdygg

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's amazing how beautiful frost can make the simplest of plants, gorgeous photos

    ReplyDelete
  5. There's something rather magical and otherwordly looking about a frost covered garden.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the way frost makes you appreciate aspects of plants and leaves that you didn't notice before. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Brrr I am shivering looking at these Charmaine! We've not had much frost here let along snow and I'm dying for some crispy mornings so I can get out there and appreciate colours other than brown. Good job your made that quilt in time for this cold spell isn't it?

    Hope you are all doing well and thank you for joining in again x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I agree. Frost and winter sunshine make for really quite special photographs. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is nothing quite like frost on leaves is there! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. One of the plants I'm happiest with in my own garden, for it's usefulness, fast growth, and year round interest is the eucalyptus ... I actually have it in a pot, which as intended it's rooted through the bottom of into the ground, and so long as I vigorously prune as and when it never gets too big.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love frost and it makes even the lowliest of plants look so special. Ours are hiding under a blanket of snow today. #HDYGG

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful photos, really lovely. I am impressed you ventured out into the cold so early in the morning! x

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you for leaving a comment, it's lovely to hear from you x