November 07, 2014

diy baby... an autumn jacket






I had planned plenty of 'diy baby' posts for this blog. Needless to say I only managed one of those posts before our little one arrived!

Last week I made an autumn jacket, using a pattern from the purl bee. I pinned this project to my 'littles' board last year as the simplicity really appealed to me. Many, many years ago, I studied fashion design, so it was fun to make an item of clothing instead of a quilt for a change!

The original pattern called for wool, but I bought some soft needlecord to go with my liberty lining as it seemed a more practical choice. I adjusted the pattern a little, changing the front panel and sizing it down to fit our little person. I love that this pattern is versatile, how sweet would it look with a little peter pan collar, or ties instead of snaps?

I'm pretty pleased with the result, though honestly it is a little more snug than I would have liked. I'll just have to make another one with a bit more wiggle room!


3 comments:

  1. It's gorgeous! And on such a beautiful little model. It looks like a garment you could keep up sizing through the toddler years too. Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought it was pretty when I saw it on instagram but with Lily wearing it it's uber cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness, totally adorable! I know I say this every time but Lily is just too cute! x

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you for leaving a comment, it's lovely to hear from you x