November 06, 2014

a summer garden












While I was pregnant we enjoyed exceptionally warm weather during the summer months, so we spent as much time outdoors as possible.

There is definitely a gap on this blog… those lost months spent in NICU looking after Lily. Naturally everything else stopped while we focused our attention on her, but it seems a shame not to share some of our summer adventures here.

Wimpole Estate is one of my very favourite places and I have written about it here several times. I'm always drawn to a walled garden and the one here is no exception. In the heat of summer with no hint of a breeze it is the most wonderful place to spend an hour or two, revelling in the huge variety of plants, colours and textures. There is also the most wonderful greenhouse, I always have major greenhouse envy whenever I visit!

I only know a handful of these plants, but I love that the garden is just a joyful riot of colour. Deep, full borders, balanced by the most perfect hedges on either side of the pathways. I try to embrace all of the seasons, but I really can't wait for summer to roll around again.

Joining in with Annie's 'how does your garden grow'.


10 comments:

  1. Very welcome to see such glorious colours on a dull and cold day today. I agree with you, I try to focus on the positives about each season, but Spring and Summer are definitely my favourites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I miss summer and colour. It is hard having a little one in NICU. Hope everything is ok now. Beautiful pictures, thank you for bringing summer back x #HDYGG

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh i would love a green house like that i think i would live more in that than a house

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing these beautiful images. On a rather cold and damp day they have brought a welcome bit of sunshine x #HDYGG

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a welcome blast of colour and warmth on such a cold, wet day. It must be lovely to look back on after such a stressful time for you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I too am a total sucker for a walled garden, it's something I dream of having one day, likely a byproduct of a boring youth reading romantic classical novels!
    So lovely looking back on Summer, and those blue skies are making me feel warmer as I sit here under a blanket feeling rather nippy - so doubly appreciated.
    Thanks for taking time to join in, I hope you are all doing well - and think, next summer it'll be Lily who's out enjoying Wimpole Estate with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful! i especially love the golden dried grasses against the blue blue sky.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A walled garden *sighs and dreams with longing heart* Definitely on my wish list and a place to appreciate whatever the season. Beautiful pics :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is lovely that you are taking some time to go back and look over your summer memories, lovely to see the flowers again at this time for year for one thing! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ooooh - lovely to have a splash of summer as we move rather too fast towards winter!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you for leaving a comment, it's lovely to hear from you x