June 14, 2014

diy baby... the hand-stitched circle quilt









Since finding out that I'm pregnant, I've been gathering ideas for crafty baby projects and I'm pleased to share the first finished one with you here!

I pinned a sashiko quilting pattern on pinterest a while ago, and it's been at the back of my mind, waiting for the perfect project. I love the simplicity of the interlocking circles but there are rather a lot of stitches and I thought it would be too much work for a full-sized quilt... but the ideal thing to try out in miniature, perfect for a baby quilt.

I selected a Claire-Aude Liberty tana lawn from my stash and a mid grey fabric. I used a ramekin to mark out circles on the grey fabric using a fabric pencil and then basted the three layers of front, wadding and back together.

I found a hand quilting thimble which made making the tiny stitches so much easier. I made some binding using pieces of the backing material joined together in strips and machine-stitched it to the front of the quilt. Finally I pinned and hand-stitched the binding to the back.

I love the slow, therapeutic process of making a quilt, seeing it gradually come together over several days. I probably spent three weeks of evenings hand-quilting in front of the tv, so it really didn't take too long.

I currently have a very simple knitted blanket and a rather more complicated hand-pieced hexagon quilt on the go, so I'll share those here too once they're finished!



11 comments:

  1. Erm, wow! That is so beautiful and the sort of thing that would probably take me years to finish, even if I used a machine. Am seriously amazed that you did it in just three weeks *by hand*!

    Utterly stunning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much Sabrina! it's surprising actually how quick hand-quilting can be once you get into a rhythm! x

      Delete
  2. Beautiful! Such a wonderful time for labours of love xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have the skills Charmaine! This is just stunning x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Simply stunning ... I love it ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think I love everything about this quilt; the colours, the fabric, the pattern, all of it. It really is stunning, something to treasure for years to come. xx

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you for leaving a comment, it's lovely to hear from you x