May 15, 2014

pottering, sowing and some growth...







I've turned into one of those pottering types… wandering up and down the garden with a watering can, checking for signs of growth and small, subtle changes.

About a month ago, we built our raised beds. After weeks of what appeared to be zero activity, things have started to happen and it's very exciting!

I'm not sure when the potato plants developed leaves and to be honest it caught me a little by surprise. A week ago there was nothing, and now they're quite bushy. You're meant to cover new growth with earth as soon as it appears, so I must get on that today. We also have the tiniest rows of cabbages and beetroot, and the slightest sign of carrots… they just look like little blades of grass at the moment.

In the cut flower bed, the anemone shoots have popped up. I sowed some additional flower seeds this week… cosmos (purity and psyche) and cornflowers. These will grow alongside the anemones, poppies and dahlias.

I also potted up some of our many tomato seedlings. I planted far too many… am I the only one who can't bear to leave seeds in a packet?? We'll have enough tomatoes to feed an army (assuming they grow, that is)!

Thanks to those of you who kindly offered advice on growing basil in response to last week's post… the general consensus was that I planted it out too early, so I'll try again in a couple of months!

Joining in with Annie's 'how does your garden grow'.

13 comments:

  1. Me, too! I'm now a potterer, forever checking on progress and watering. A whole new world! Yours are looking good x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Best bit of gardening pottering.....everytime I water the garden I find something to trim or dead head or fiddle with!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh I love a good potter. Looks like you will have lots of lovely things to eat in the coming months. lovely

    ReplyDelete
  4. pottering is a fabulous way to spend time! i am a fan of it also! beautiful pictures and post. x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Husband just bought some pot aubergine and my potted sunflower is in comatose but is showing some life. From yellow the leaves are now greenish. WHen I have enough courage might show it on my future #HDYGG post =)

    Your post in an inspiration to me... i have no space wahtsoever but is in love of gardening.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fab post. Your potatoes are way ahead of mine! I'm always so behind... I'm definitely the kind of person who sows ALL the seeds too - I've currently got 46 dahlia seedlings to do something about. Hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Isn't the sight of new growth just so wonderful! Pity I have a few rows of seeds with nothing to show - oh well - I was probably a bit early too so will resow tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Eeekk so exciting seeing them pop up and out!... Beautiful Popping over from #HDYGG

    ReplyDelete
  9. There is nothing wrong at all with being a garden potterer, it sounds as though you are really enjoying it, and that is the most important thing of all! xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am the same with seeds! Hence the 60 odd sunflower plants starting off life in my front garden right now. I just know if I put them back in the packet they'll get chucked out or forgotten about but to actually throw them away seems so wrong.
    I am more than a bit in love with your watering can my pottering friend, looks like it's all coming together nicely x

    ReplyDelete
  11. how exciting! once things sprout, they really take off! happy weekend

    ReplyDelete
  12. lots of lovely new growth! The plant that you enquired about in my post is Alchemilla mollis (or Lady's mantle). (I thought I would reply here as I am currently having huge problems with images disappearing from my blog!).

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's lovely to see the new growth coming through especially in the vegetable garden ... the promise of all that lovely eating later in the summer ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you for leaving a comment, it's lovely to hear from you x