April 10, 2014

building raised beds








We're hoping to grow some of our own fruit and vegetables this year… strawberries, tomatoes, carrots, courgettes, potatoes and beetroot. I'm also planning a cutting garden with dahlias, sweet peas, poppies and cosmos.

So on Saturday afternoon, we took out two large sections of the lawn to turn into raised beds.  It turns out that grass grows surprisingly deep, is extremely heavy and is very difficult to move. We used reclaimed scaffolding boards to make the sides and painted them black because our garden office/workshop (which will sit behind the beds when it is built) will also be black. Eventually we'll gravel the pathways between the beds and the office.

Inside the house, we have potatoes chitting on the kitchen table and all manner of seedlings growing in the utility room. Our Sarah Raven delivery turned up last week, so we've been planting seeds in every possible container imaginable. I'll be glad when we can plant them out, if only to reclaim the space!

There is plenty of colour in our neighbour's garden... I love these deep, pink flowers. Next to them is a large bush with hundreds of delicate yellow flowers, these ones remind me of pom poms.

Joining in with Annie's 'how does your garden grow'.


21 comments:

  1. Can I have your garden please-fabulous place to develop! Good luck with the beds, they look brilliant :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha! It's a lovely large space and we have lots of plans, I really hope the plants we've planted int he borders fill out a bit as it all looks a bit bare at the moment!

      Delete
  2. your garden is HUGE!!! I love the look of Raised Flower beds :) cant wait to see all your veg and fruit #HDYGG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was one of the main reasons we bought the house, though going from no garden to one of this size is a bit of a shock! x

      Delete
  3. Its so nice to have space! I love your area so clean and planned! If i have space id grow onion and garlic as they are always a part of my cooking! Hmmm maybe ill go and buy some seeds! #HDYGG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooh yes, that reminds me… I need to plant garlic! thank you x

      Delete
  4. Thats a lot of work, but will be wonderful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes! I had no idea until I started… help! x

      Delete
  5. Awesome! Grass is indeed a bugger to dig up, I'm currently digging a lot up in our garden and it's killing my back! It'll be worth it all in the end. Love the idea of painting it black too.
    I see what you mean about it looking like pom poms - yellow is just the happiest colour isn't it? Can't wait to see them all planted up now! I hope Mollie helped ;)
    Thanks for joining in again - have a lovely weekend ahead - now the sunshine's come out it should be a nice one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it really is… and thinking about it if we want gravel paths we'll have to dig that up too… perhaps I'll leave the grass :) x

      Delete
  6. it's looking great Charmaine!! and i like the new blog look as well

    ReplyDelete
  7. OH good luck i know you will love having raised beds we made our about 3 years back and not looked back you really have done a grand job on them

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. brilliant, that's good to know! I'm really looking forward to growing something we can eat! x

      Delete
  8. Oh wow how brilliant, I love raised beds. We have a flower bed that is completely full of grass so if you know how to get rid of it, let me know! There are flowers in there too so I can't weedkiller the lot. It will be amazing to have all your own treats in the garden, can't wait to see them grow :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hmm, that sounds like a tricky problem to get around… we spent ages removing all the little bits of root as I know it can grow back really easily x

      Delete
  9. Your garden plans sound fabulous and the raised beds look great ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Brilliant - I am at heart a veg gardener more than a flower gardener so love seeing what other people grow to eat. #HDHDYGG

    ReplyDelete
  11. this brings back memories as we were doing the same in our garden at this time last year! A great idea to paint the boards - stylish and it should add extra weather protection too x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ok, so, you have me stumped, I have NO idea what the yellow pom pom shrub is, but, the good news is that it is beautiful!!!! Hope that you have fun with all of your planting! xx

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you for leaving a comment, it's lovely to hear from you x