March 13, 2014

sunshine and a spot of gardening...








Last weekend was glorious… if I owned a garden chair I would have sat in it and had a little snooze!

The sun was shining and the washing was on the line. On a bit of a whim we headed over to the garden centre to seek out some plants. Admittedly, we might have become a little over excited when faced with so many multi-buys.

Plants were piled into the trolley based on a not particularly strict criteria: did we like the look of it? Yes? Well, in it went. So we have a peony, rose, lupin, foxgloves, hyacinths, a dogwood and a few others whose names escape me.

Back in the garden, I danced around the borders pruning (or inexpertly chopping, really) everything I could get my secateurs on... meanwhile Chris extended the border on one side of the garden to house our new arrivals. We ran out of daylight before we had a chance to plant anything, but I'm excited to start that this weekend.

Elsewhere in the garden, the little crocus I planted back in winter and the daffodils planted by a previous owner are flowering. The large plant close to the house is awash with hundreds of little yellow flowers… I don't suppose any of you know what type of plant this is?

Joining in with Annie's 'how does your garden grow'.

By the way, did you see yesterday's post about a giveaway I'm hosting? See that post here.

30 comments:

  1. The crocus are looking wonderful!

    I love going to buy plants, sounds like we use the same criteria when choosing which ones to buy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! yes, I'm just going back and checking now if I can actually plant the ones we've bought next to each other! probably the wrong way round but there you go! x

      Delete
  2. It was lovely, and I feel your excitement at being able to get into the garden! Hope the planting goes well, and loved seeing so many sunny, Spring shots :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. you definitely need to invest in a garden chair! and you sound like me at any garden place. if i like the flower, in the cart it goes. happy spring and happy gardening!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You make me want to head to the garden centre! So satisfying planting - and it sounds like you work on the same buying principle as me - if it looks good it's allllllright. Secateurs bring out the barbarian in me - I always overprune and then tell myself that a strict cutting back is good for things!

    I love the light in these photos - thanks for joining in again x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Annie! yes, I really got into the pruning… I hope the plants recover, ha! x

      Delete
  5. Forsythia:-) I love it too and have been meaning to take a picture of the vivid yellows. We don't have one though. Looks like a gorgeous garden with plenty of scope!

    ReplyDelete
  6. New plants, exciting!! I bought a peony this year and it's just starting to peep out of the ground. Looks like you have plenty of space for your multi-buys :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh I love peonies, definitely one of my favourites! x

      Delete
  7. Forsythia - a fabulous Spring shrub! #HDYGG

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooo I love peonies and foxgloves, some of my all time favourites!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes me too, I'm so excited to plant them! x

      Delete
  9. gosh i would love to snooze in the garden like you but i dont think the demands of my kids and hubby would give me 5 mins to do that, love your crocus they are very pretty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha! I hope you do get 5 minutes in the sun! x

      Delete
  10. Your crocuses are awesome! The idea of having a dogwood takes me back to my GA days! I imagine your garden will be beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous, spring-y photos. I think the yellow plant is forsythia. It's beautiful isn't it? I've been gardening too. My local greengrocer is selling primulas for about 60p each and I must've bought about 20. So nice to have some colour in the pots. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Gillian! I knew if I put a picture up someone would identify it! It is very beautiful, it's so nice to inherit it! 60p each is a complete bargain, I can understand why you bought so many! x

      Delete
  12. What pretty light ... I love your photos ... your plant is forsythia ... we have one too but it hasn't flowered yet ... I'm patiently waiting ... have a lovely weekend ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Bee! thanks for identifying it, what a knowledgeable bunch you all are! x

      Delete
  13. I've been 'gardening' today too, and by gardening I mean potting a few petunias. Our little patch of grass out back is so dull. Nothing else grows because the grown slopes so now I'm attempting to add some colour with a few potted plants. Autumn is not quite the right season for this but I thought I'd give it bash anyway :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Gorgeous pictures, I love the pretty crocus! Iv'e been gardening over the weekend too, digging our border ready to fill. I too need to visit the garden centre and buy some pretty bits. Have a great week xx

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you for leaving a comment, it's lovely to hear from you x