March 18, 2014

planning a garden...

image from pinterest

We've no experience of gardening really, this house is the first we've lived in with an actual garden. We've grown tomatoes in a pot of course, but this is a whole other level!

Our plot is about 120 x 30 feet… rectangular and very long, with a wider area furthest away from the house. It is mostly lawn at the moment, with a couple of borders at the edges. The soil looks pretty good, though we still need to do a ph test. The sun moves around the house and the garden is sunny for long periods during the day. There are a handful of plants growing already… a huge apple tree, a forsythia (thanks to those who identified this in my last post!), a handful of shrub roses and what I think (and hope) is a peony.

Our plan is to build an office at the bottom of the garden, so I can move my business out of the spare bedroom. In front we're planning raised beds to grow a mix of vegetables and fruit and also have an area to use as a cutting garden. We bought reclaimed scaffold boards from the wood recycling project last weekend so hope to build these soon.

The cutting garden is the most exciting from my point of view. I've been pouring over catalogues and websites (particularly Sarah Raven) and have a huge list of potential candidates! Certainly I would like to plant a couple of verities of Cosmos as well as Sweet Peas and Foxgloves. I'm too late to plant them now, but next year I hope to have Tulips and Anemone as well.

I've been collecting inspiration on pinterest, you can see more of my garden ideas there.

Don't forget, the Donna Wilson giveaway closes tomorrow! Hop over here to enter!

Follow Charmaine @ weald's board c u t t i n g g a r d e n on Pinterest.

6 comments:

  1. Hello. I have found your blog recently via Gillian at Tales From A Happy House. I love a bit of gardening, and am a very enthusiastic beginner. Can I recommned a couple of books that may be helpful for a new (to you) garden? Sweet Peas For Summer by Laeticia Maklouf, is a fantastic book for anyone who has inherited a garden and wish to have it up and running in the first year. Grow Your Own Cut Flowers by Sarah Raven is invaluable for flowers that can be brought into the house. As for veg, I return again and again to Grow Your Own Veg by Carol Klein.

    Happy gardening!

    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leanne, welcome! thanks so much for the recommendations… I actually bought Carol Klein's book last week, it looks great! We are avid watchers of gardeners world, I do love Carol! x

      Delete
  2. Your garden plans sound wonderful Charmaine ... our garden is a constant work in progress ... my husband is a landscape gardener but sadly this means our garden is not his most pressing priority ;) ... slowly but surely it will take shape though ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Bee! wow, that sounds like an amazing job! yes, to quote Alan Titchmarsh 'a garden is never finished'… hmmm x

      Delete
  3. Well, the fact that you're thinking about ph levels, and where the sun goes, suggests you've already put a great deal of thought into it! A garden office is a great idea. Our garden is tiny so I have to limit myself to sweet peas (the more you pick the more they grow - yay!) and tomatoes. I adore peonies and if I one day had my own peony bush I'd be a very happy lady indeed. Happy gardening! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha, well I'm trying at least! well, if I had to choose a couple of plants, sweet peas and tomatoes would be my choices as they both smell so amazing! I can't wait to put some tomatoes in, we'd better get on with the raised beds! x

      Delete

Hello! Thank you for leaving a comment, it's lovely to hear from you x