February 12, 2014

feeding the birds and Mollie proofing






Ages ago (back in November in fact), my parents-in-law generously bought me some bird feeders and a bird box for my birthday. Last week I finally managed to make some time to put them up. So we now have a box in the fir tree at the bottom of the garden and a grain feeder hanging from the apple tree.

With the left-over suet from our Christmas pudding, I also made a couple of homemade bird treats, using a yogurt pot as a mould. I used Gillian's recipe, which you can find here. It probably only took me about 15 minutes and was a nice way to use up all the random little bags of seeds, nuts and fruits in my kitchen cupboards.

Last weekend we also fenced off a small section of our garden close to the house, so that we  can keep a better watch over Mollie when she's outside. She gets the full run of the garden daily too of course, but only when we want her to, rather than her taking off of her own accord!

You can see how long our grass is in the last two photographs. We've inherited the worse lawn ever… uneven, bumpy, patchy and full of weeds. I don't think the previous owner ever tried to mow it! If you have any tips for getting a lawn back under control I'd love to hear them… help!

Joining in with Annie's 'how does your garden grow'.


12 comments:

  1. We've a lovely bird feeder, too, and I try to keep it stocked, as it is great to see birds coming into the garden and the kids love it. Mollie already looks bigger!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so lovely to see the birds isn't it… I was getting quite jealous of the bird presence in our neighbours' gardens so I'm glad our feeders are finally up and running! She does look a little bigger… no!!! x

      Delete
  2. I like your lawn, it kind of looks wild and natural! Ours needs a good cut, if it would just stop raining! Good idea to fence the garden, it took us ages to do ours and the dog went missing twice only to be returned by kind new neighbours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! fortunately I don't think there are any gaps in our garden but it is very long and in the dark it's very difficult to see her! x

      Delete
  3. Ah lovely to be feeding the birds! I lob them them toast from the front door most mornings but I know I could be doing more for the little blighters. I've spied a few going in and out of the bird box here - must be bugs in there for them to yum up!

    Mollie is looking as cute as ever - surprising just how many places little dogs can get in to isn't it? Is she settling in well?

    Thanks for joining in again and sharing these lovely photos with us all - that top one makes me want to go and sniff a pine tree :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes she is surprisingly small actually, she can fit through the gaps between the baby gate we bought to contain her in the kitchen… hmmmm. She's settling in well thank you! x

      Delete
  4. ooh more deep of field shots they are really great fab!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awww Mollie is so beautiful. I could snuggle her up :) I have been meaning to make some bird treats for ages so this has reminded me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. she is very cuddly! ooh yes, do have a look at Gillian's post x

      Delete
  6. The only thing I know about getting a nice lawn is to mow often, sprinkle on a lawn feed every so often and dig out weeds like dandelions. #HDYGG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. right then… will have to get the mower out when it finally stops raining! x

      Delete

Hello! Thank you for leaving a comment, it's lovely to hear from you x