January 13, 2014

a spot of cushion making







Over the Christmas break, I started collecting fabrics to make some new cushion covers… Liberty cotton offcuts, tea towels and a wool scarf I found on sale for £9. 

I was planning to cut a square of the Liberty fabric and then stitch a length of the wool scarf on top, because this would have been really quick and simple… but I didn't have quite enough Liberty fabric. So I had to make a series of panels instead. After a bit more time and quite a bit of maths, I worked out the correct sizes and started cutting out and stitching.

I made the cover removable, by adding an envelope back and buttons. I had to dig out my sewing machine manual because I hadn't made buttonholes before, but it's actually very simple once you know how! I used a bright orange thread for the buttonholes for contrast. Cushion covers are expensive to buy but so cheap and easy to make. You can use any type of fabric too… blankets, tea towels, curtains, jumpers, scarves. I'm planning a few more!

The sun rises on this side of the house, so I've arranged one of our Ercol chairs in front of the window, with a Donna Wilson cushion I picked up at the recent sample sale and my new cushion cover on top. Behind it is the old pine cabinet I spent ages sanding back (it was stained a dark, almost mahogany brown when we moved in). So now I have a little happy corner!

… ah, simple pleasures, eh!



14 comments:

  1. That is one seriously lovely corner! Well done for all your hard work. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it looks lovely Charmaine and sits perfects with he Donna Wilson one. x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely. I've had a go at making a cushion from an old cardigan. I was really pleased with it. Inspired by your cotton/wool combo to make more.

    Leanne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Leanne! ooh I bet it's lovely x

      Delete
  4. I love your cushion and the mix of the two fabrics from the scarf and the liberty print - and you know that I love your Ercol chair!! I wish that I had one of those chairs - and I wish that I had the space to put one of those chairs!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Amy! if you really like them it might be worth searching on eBay, I've found a few ercol gems on there x

      Delete
  5. Oh I could just sit there with a mug of hot tea and a good book ... just lovely ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, it's very tempting to do that! thanks Bee x

      Delete
  6. It's lovely! I like the colour of the button holes - nice detail :-) x

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is a happy corner indeed! Life is all about simple pleasures, what else is there? The cushion is gorgeous, very you - understated and stylish yet striking too. I'm glad you said buttonholes are easy. I fear them as much as i fear the dreaded zips... x

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you for leaving a comment, it's lovely to hear from you x