December 19, 2013

the unadorned tree







Well, it's been an eventful few days in this house.

We decided (very naively in retrospect) that 2 weeks before Christmas would be the ideal time to rip up the carpets in the sitting room and sand the floorboards, thus creating a haven of natural wood and calm.

The stark reality of this task was slightly way more complex than we could ever have imagined… more on that later. While at the timber suppliers we popped across the road to Northfield's Nursery to find our perfect tree. Back home, we repaired and sanded the floor in a weekend and I applied the final coat of varnish on Tuesday. We were finally ready for the tree.

Yesterday morning in my haste to go downstairs (wearing slippers and carrying several cups - big mistake), I slipped on the top step and fell down the stairs from top to bottom. The doctor says although I have badly bruised my lower back, I will be fine (I am very lucky), so I am now hobbling about feeling quite sorry for myself.

On the plus side… look at the tree! It's huge (6ft) and very beautiful indeed. Last night Chris wrestled it inside and it filled our small-ish bay window very nicely. It was too late to decorate, so there are only lights to adorn it… but I quite like it like that. I shuffled around taking photos and then we went to bed. We'll decorate it tonight.

Joining in with Annie's 'how does your garden grow'. 


21 comments:

  1. Oh how awful ... hope you are feeling much better soon. Your tree is beautiful! Keep well, Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Bee! yes I'm sure it will ease in a couple of days :) x

      Delete
  2. absolutely gorgeous! and get better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ouch - I do hope you feel less sore soon, going down the stairs sucks, it's the shock of it all mixed with the pain that makes it so evil.

    Love the floorboards, we have floorboards here too and although it can be a little chilier underfoot in the winter it's lovely and cool in the Summer :) I love the unadorned tree, ours is pretty decoration sparse this year - I took one look at the tree and decided not to put too much on it as the tree itself is beautiful enough. Stunning photos as ever and really love how you have taken them.

    Have a very Merry and not very sore Christmas my dear - and thank you for joining in with this each week, your shots always bring a big old smile to my face x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah, thanks Annie! Merry Christmas to you and yours too :) x

      Delete
  4. Oh no, I've fallen down the stairs and ripped my muscles so you have my total sympathy. On the plus side, the tree looks beautiful like that :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ouch... ripped muscles doesn't sound good at all, I hope it wasn't too painful for too long x

      Delete
  5. i just love hard wood floors. they look absolutely beautiful. sorry to hear about your fall but thankfully you are not too hurt? anyways, speedy recovery and a very Merry Christmas to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. me too... though the process to get them to that state, less so! I'm sure I'll recover, I'll just have to spend more time on the sofa, mince pie in hand :) Merry Christmas to you and yours too x

      Delete
  6. wow quite a story, glad you are ok because that could of been terrible. Tree and floor look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Tracey! you're right, it could have been so much worse so I'm definitely counting my blessings x

      Delete
  7. Sorry to hear about your tumble but it's good news that you'll be okay. Your photos are stunning! I would be tempted to leave the tree with just lights on :) Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Gemma. I know I quite like it like that, but oh how I love those vintage baubles :) x

      Delete
  8. Oh, ouch! How awful, so glad that you're okay, if rather sore. Your floors and tree are lovely though. Gorgeous photos too x

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a few days to add on and right before Christmas! Your floors are beautiful along with the photos - it is nice and simplified.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ahh love a bit of fairy light bokeh! Glad it's not just me that plays around taking photos of the lights! Ouch to falling down the stairs though - hope the bruising goes down soon. Arnica tablets can be really good for helping bruising. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sorry to hear about your accident! I hope that you heal quickly and that you are able to get up and at'em soon. The floor looks beautiful, as does the tree with just the lights on it. Your photos are of course stunning - you know I love your photos! - and the tree is such a great shape too. You will have decorated it by now I expect, so I look foward to seeing the decorated pictures in due course!! Take care of yourself and get better soon! Happy Christmas. xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ouchy ouch ouch to your fall - you must be feeling so sore. The floor looks wonderful though as does your tree. Fabulous photos :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. That is a beautiful tree and a wonderful approach to capturing it. And the floors! I too like to get on with tasks at the most in-appropriate times, but I also believe that if they aren't done in the spur of the moment whim, they will never get done. Yesterday may have been my busiest for a while, and as I was running up and down our road to various appointments, my neighbour shouted out at me: "STEADY!" I really am going to try to remember this more often. I hope that you feel better soon!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you for leaving a comment, it's lovely to hear from you x