December 12, 2013

garden: winter





I love the drama and stark beauty of a garden in winter… skeletons of previously flowering plants contrasting against the white winter sky.

I'm not sure what this plant is, it grows over our fence from next door… perhaps it's a clematis? The stems are almost stripped bare with just a few leaves remaining. Against our neighbour's house the detail reveals itself… brown/red stems and bright lime leaves.

These images were taken at the end of last week. We've had some lovely wintery days recently… plenty of white skies, a little low sunshine and then yesterday a deep deep fog. Today I awoke to a blanket of frost, everything was glistening in the early morning light… so very pretty.

I took photographs of both the fog yesterday and the frost this morning but haven't downloaded the images yet. At the moment I'm overwhelmed with Christmas orders so that takes priority until I reach the last posting dates next week... I'll share them soon.


Joining in with Annie's 'how does your garden grow'


12 comments:

  1. In those few images you have captured December. Beautiful, and yes, stark.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, simple and looks so delicate although I'm sure it's very hardy. I love your garden photos, they've been getting more and more atmospheric as the weeks go on.

    Thanks for joining in and taking the time to share amidst the orders and chaos of Christmas x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Annie! I'm loving this link-up… it makes me go outside and actually look! x

      Delete
  3. These photos are just beautiful. Perfect wintery shots xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is looking very stark out there at the moment isn't it. I had to go off and get my flower fix - found some weird and wonderful plants in the process!

    www.podcastdove.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, though there is a surprising amount of colour still about! x

      Delete
  5. stunning winter stills. would you mind sharing with me what camera you use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks so much Claudia! Not at all, they were taken with a Nikon D80 x

      Delete
  6. I've no idea what this plant is, but it looks lovely, especially against the sky like that. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha! I suspect I'll have better luck identifying plants in summer :) x

      Delete

Hello! Thank you for leaving a comment, it's lovely to hear from you x