November 07, 2013

harvest









This past weekend we spent ages in the garden, pottering and finishing off little jobs.

There are several staghorn plants growing at the bottom of the garden, which eventually will be removed when we build our workshop. Though they are currently taking over that end of the garden, I'm still enjoying their display of graduated autumnal leaves in the meantime.

The apples are still dropping, our tree really is huge. I collected hundreds of windfall fruits from the long grass, saving the best for cakes and pies and the rest for chutney. I also put a huge box of them at the front of our house for our neighbours.

Chris finished the shed by fixing the window and painting the edge panels, so hopefully now it will be water tight. We also picked as many apples as we could fresh from the tree. We are planing to store some over winter and into spring, so we modified a couple of cheap ikea shelving units into an apple storage rack and attached them to the inside of the shed.

I planted some hyacinths, anemone, crocus and daffodils into a pot for the front garden. I'm looking forward to seeing them flower next year and hopefully adding some much needed early colour to the front of the house.


Joining in with Annie's 'how does your garden grow'.





21 comments:

  1. I like the colour of your shed, very pretty. Hope you are enjoying your apples, it sounds as though you have a lot of them!! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah thanks Amy, I was worried it was a bit light, but I quite like it now! yes, so many apples :) x

      Delete
  2. Love the duck egg colour of your shed! We've been given LOADS of apples this year so I've been making lots of dutch apple cake - worth checking out if you get stuck for ideas. The leaves in your first photo are really interesting, they look like they are draped over the branch :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! ooh yes, I'll take a look, thank you x

      Delete
  3. oh wow, it's perfectly fall here too. beautiful pictures. i think the staghorn you are speaking of may be different from the ones around here that are usually attached to trees...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! yes, we have a large tree and then several smaller plants around it... hopefully it won;t return once we remove it! x

      Delete
  4. Love the shed colour - our gate is painted a very similar colour. I wish you were my neighbour - our apple tree is only 2 years old and dropped all of 8 apples this year. How nice to have been out pottering - I look forward to seeing what pops up there in Spring!

    Thanks for joining in again x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! ha... you would be welcome to the apples if you were :) x

      Delete
  5. Another comment to sing the praises of the colour of your shed! It's just gorgeous, so heritagey and lovely. I'm impressed your apple tree is still going. I have three in our garden, but whatever's left on the branches now looks really small and unappetising, I think they've given up til next year...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah, thanks so much! this apple tree is mammoth, it is a bumper crop for sure :) x

      Delete
  6. Haven't we been so lucky with apples this year! We finished off ours, but have been given more by a friend! Love that first shot with the colourful leaves!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. this is our first year with the tree and I'm feeling a little overwhelmed if truth be told! I'm sure we'll be organised next year though, I hate seeing so many fall and go to waste! x

      Delete
  7. Wow, what an amazing apple tree! We went apple picking at a local farm, but it would be lovely to have our own tree :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lots of beautiful snaps. Those plants you potted up should look gorgeous come spring then :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! I hope so, they're the first bulbs I've planted so fingers crossed! x

      Delete
  9. Your shed caught my eye and reminded me I have to re felt the roof on mine - not so water tight at the moment :( I'm dreaming of a garden with a huge apple tree - one day :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. What gorgeous colors-even the little shed!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a pretty shed. I love that you gave apples away, makes me feel warm and fuzzy when I see things like that. We used to have Staghorns in my childhood garden, I can remember their furry stems. I must look out for one to put in my garden for nostalgia. Sam x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful pics! Your garden sounds amazing. x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love your painted shed! It's just adorable. Interesting that you're planning to build a workshop, I look forward to seeing how that turns out. It looks like a lovely, mature garden. x

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you for leaving a comment, it's lovely to hear from you x