November 11, 2013

buy local: the farmers market




Last week I read this post from Annie about buying local and it got me thinking.

I buy our food shopping in the supermarket, just down the road from the gym and about 10 minutes from our house. That's a very convenient little loop I have there.

In an effort to find some local food suppliers, we visited the craft and farmer's market this weekend. There was so much variety... breads and pastries stacked high, unusual cheeses and preserves and local game.

We picked up a loaf of bread, a pack of venison sausages (not for me you understand, I'm a vegetarian) and some olives. The bread and sausages were produced less than 20 miles away... pretty local then!

We had a nice chat with each of the super friendly stall holders and they gave us loads of information about how their food was produced. Honestly, it was a little more expensive than buying from a supermarket but a personable and informative service goes a long way in my book...

And in any case, I'm not sure if you can even buy venison sausages in the supermarket...



5 comments:

  1. Yummo! I have such a hankering for a samosa now. I plan on hitting out local farmers market over the next few weeks - I'm thinking a bakery this week - that way I can buy some cakes, for 'research' purposes you understand ;)

    Love your photos, that top one makes me want to make soup x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh yes, cakes in the name of research... good plan! x

      Delete
  2. Farmer's Markets are more expensive but they are preferable for so many reasons. We are guilty of using our local supermarket for almost everything, despite having two excellent farm shops only a five minute drive away. Tut tut, I know... Gorgeous photos. I want a lamb samosa now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Gillian! I'm looking forward to checking out a few other farmer's markets close by too x

      Delete
  3. Ahh I'm so jeallous. I used to live near a regular farmers market but alass no more. Your photo's are lovely and bring back many memories and making me very hungry. You can buy venison sausages in a well known supermarket where every little helps but to be honest I bet they wouldn't taste anywhere near as nice as the ones from the farmers market so I's stick with paying a little more and enjoy the quality of the sausages.

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you for leaving a comment, it's lovely to hear from you x