November 21, 2013

a sunny morning







I took these photographs in my Mum's garden in Bristol, early on Monday morning. It was a beautiful winter's day... bright blue sky, warm sun and crisp air.

Although the garden is small, there is plenty of contrast and texture. The rising sun cast a golden glow over the seed heads and berries in the border, while the rest of the back garden receded into the shadows.

The white berries are so striking aren't they? I think I'm right in saying they're sorbus... I saw something similar on gardener's world a few weeks ago. Now that we have our own garden, I watch this programme with much interest, obviously.

The verbena (again I think that's what it's called) looked so pretty gently illuminated in the warm light.

In contrast to the back garden where muted shades abound, there is an acer in the front garden. This small tree is a complete riot of ombre colour and it looked especially vibrant against the bright blue sky that day. This is one plant I would love to have in our own garden.

Joining in with Annie's 'how does your garden grow' and Tara's 'photo gallery'.

26 comments:

  1. Ahhh these are so delicate and soft, pretty , pretty stuff. Those white berries made me gasp for a moment as I stopped wondering how you edited their colour to white and realised they really are white. Such lovely colours, the acer against the sky and that stunning windmill shot - just beautiful - thanks ever so much for joining in - I've loved these :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Annie! Yes aren't they amazing! I'm really loving joining in with your series, it's an excuse to get out and really look around! x

      Delete
  2. ohhhhhh sooooo beautiful! i could feel the crisp winter air. the white berries are gorgeous as is every single shot in this post. beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've got some wonderful close up shots there, lovely to look at.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oooh I do love those white berries, they really are stunning, I love the shot with the trail of the aeroplane in the sky, it's brilliant

    ReplyDelete
  5. aah those white berries are just stunning, they really are striking. Such beautiful colours, I love the shot with the aeroplane trail in the sky, it's brilliant.
    Apologies if I've commented twice, my comments seem to be playing up a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh the stunning pics and the beautiful blog..............! I am green (fingered) with envy! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. What stunning photographs! I adore the white berries, so pretty. Gorgeous blue sky, perfect autumn/winter day :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Sara! love those berries too x

      Delete
  8. Love your photos of your mum's garden , we need more sunny winter days! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Tracey! yes it's been a little grey recently, hopefully more sun to come our way! x

      Delete
  9. Beautiful! You almost have an even split of Autumn and Winter in your garden :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those white berries are amazingly beautiful - adding those to my garden wish list! Lovely shots and great colour contrasts x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Simply stunning ... I love the white berries ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've seen quite a few of those white berries around- I must admit that I'm curious and want to pick them and squeeze them just to see what they are like inside. Sometimes they remind me of mini marshmallows. I adore acers. They are so rewarding at this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think the white berries are my favorite - we have so many orange and red ones here that white ones would add a sense of calm to the vibrancy. Have to go look up sorbus now!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful photos. Your mum has a very pretty garden. I don't think I've ever seen white berries before.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Beautiful wintery pictures, the light has that misty feel to it. Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think that you are right Charmaine that the white berries are sorbus. They are beautiful, so is that acer against the bright blue sky. Just what you need at this time of year. xx

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you for leaving a comment, it's lovely to hear from you x