October 10, 2013

petersham nurseries



I remember seeing a wedding reception on instagram, photographed at Petersham Nurseries. The setting was magical... huge glasshouses, glorious flower arrangements, white linens and fairy lights.



I made a mental note to visit if we were ever in West London. A couple of weeks ago, my Mum came to stay for a few days. We woke before dawn on the Tuesday to visit Sunbury antiques market and after such an early rise by 10.30 we were in dire need of tea and cake. I remembered that we were very close to Petersham, so we drove the short distance to the nursery.



Petersham is arranged across several large glasshouses and ramshackle out buildings. We found a well-stocked gardening shop, a vintage home shop, a space dedicated for courses and classes, a tea shop and a michelin starred restaurant no less! Mum and I spent a glorious couple of hours feasting on damp almond cake and peppermint tea and browsing the plant stalls. Seasonal vegetables and fruits are grown in the on-site kitchen garden and these are reflected in the menu. Sadly we were too early for lunch, but the options chalked on the board looked so inviting... pumpkin and mushroom gratin, caprese salad and chick pea stew with rice.



I love visiting nurseries... walking up and down the aisles surrounded by hundreds of varieties of plants and flowers, reading all the little labels and getting ridiculously excited when I recognise one or two. The house renovation takes priority at the moment, but oh am I excited to start on the garden.



Joining in with Annie's 'How Does Your Garden Grow'.



13 comments:

  1. Beautiful photos, I love the light in them, almost ethereal.I wouldn't mind a slice of that cake - or in fact to be a cat that strolls round garden centers all day napping in the sunshine!
    We are planning a major house extension early next year so our garden plans are on hold too - but like you I find there's nothing wrong with hunting out some inspiration for when the time comes ;)

    Thanks for sharing such charming shots x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Annie! I know, it's a cat's life isn't it! :) x

      Delete
  2. Beautiful photographs Charmaine. Petersham Nurseries is on my list of places to visit one day. Have you read any of Skye Gyngell's books? She is Head Chef at the restaurant. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Jen! ooh no, I didn't realise that, thanks for letting me know :) x

      Delete
  3. That looks like a beautiful place to visit just for a look around, and then you add in cake and tea and lunch - well what is there not to like! Glad you had a great time. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes, it's great for a slow, relaxing browse! x

      Delete
  4. I don't know what I'm more jealous of, the visit to the antiques market or the nursery. I've always wanted to go to Petersham nursery, for the food as much as anything! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha! both great places... will def go back to petersham for lunch x

      Delete
  5. What a wonderful place. And the almond cake looked delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for your comment :) yes it was good! x

      Delete
  6. what a gorgeous place and what beautiful pics. happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The food there sounds lovely and your photos show it be a glorious place to spend a day. Lovely :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you for leaving a comment, it's lovely to hear from you x