October 21, 2013

innocent big knit




I haven't knitted for ages. About five years ago I started knitting a scarf... it's sitting in a bag upstairs, probably feeling deeply forlorn.

Innocent are asking for people to join their Big Knit campaign. The idea is to knit a little hat, and for each hat wearing smoothie sold, 25p will be donated to Age UK.

I thought this sounded like a nice thing to do, so I dug out my spare yarn. I watched a couple of videos on the lionbrand website to teach me how to cast on and how to make the basic stitches.

I started simple, a single colour hat with a pom pom. This first hat took me about 2 hours because I kept making mistakes, but once I figured out how to rectify those I was hooked, and knitted 4 more. As I became more confident I started deviating from the pattern by adding in additional colours. The lion hat is made using the simple hat pattern and then adding an animal pom pom from this pattern here.

These little hats aren't perfect, but I think they will be ok! If you would like to knit your own hat, there is an easy to follow pattern on the Innocent website, and you have until 31st October to send it in.


16 comments:

  1. Those are lush! I think you need to make a big one now. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah, thanks Jen! yes, I was thinking that, though I might have to knit in the round... not quite sure how to do that yet! x

      Delete
  2. These look brilliant, well done! Love the lion one especially! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another reason that I need to learn how to knit! So cute Charmaine!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh these are great, its lovely to see so many people knitting! I have made 2 so far, from scraps of wool I have lying about, and I'm thinking of trying a more adventurous design next, I better get knitting to get them sent in on time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! yes it's great for using up scraps isn't it, such a fun little project :) x

      Delete
  5. Oh, so adorable! You need to make bigger ones now! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Col! yes this is what I'm thinking, but I'm scared! x

      Delete
  6. Adorable ... I would love if they were big enough for my noggin :) ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Bee! Yes, well this is next step I suppose, though I would have to knit on a circular needle and I haven't done that yet... eek! x

      Delete
  7. This caught my eye too. I want to make some - I wish I'd seen the adverts sooner as the 31st October isn't far away! Yours are very cute, and they are going to such a brilliant charity. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Gillian! yes, though actually if you know how to knit I suppose one would only take 20-30 minutes so there might still be time! x

      Delete

Hello! Thank you for leaving a comment, it's lovely to hear from you x