October 31, 2013

apple caramel loaf cake




So the apples continue to fall, and I continue to seek out new ways to try to use them.

This cake has made an appearance twice over the past couple of weeks... most recently for my husband's birthday. 

I love the combination of sharp apples against the sweet toffee and nutty topping. 

ingredients:
175g soft butter
175g unrefined caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 large eggs
225g self raising flour (or 225g plain flour and 3 tsp baking powder)
1 tsp cinnamon
4 tbsp natural yogurt
3-4 small bramley apples (or eating apples)
50g pecans chopped, plus 1tbsp extra for the topping
50g soft toffees (I used Werther's)
2 tbsp double cream


method:
Heat the oven to gas mark 3. Grease and line a 2lb loaf tin with baking paper.

Beat the butter, sugar and vanilla until pale and creamy and then add the eggs one at a time.

Add the flour, cinnamon and yogurt. Peel, core and roughly chop the apples until small chunks and add to the bowl. Combine with a wooden spoon.

Scrape the mixture into the tin and level off the top. Sprinkle the 50g pecans down the middle. Bake on the middle shelf for 1 hour and 20 minutes until the cake is golden on top and a cake tester comes out clean. Cool the cake in the tin.

To decorate, melt the toffees and cream in a small saucepan on a low heat until combined. Cool for a minute while you turn out the cake onto a plate. Drizzle the toffee sauce on top and sprinkle the extra pecans on top. 



Joining in with Annie's 'how does your garden grow'.






10 comments:

  1. OH MY LORD that looks SO GOOD. Apples - caramel - nuts? Winner!

    I'm going to make that bad boy this weekend - gorgeous yumminess, thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am just off to gogg a load of apples from my neighbour, but I think that having seen this I might hold a few back to make this lovely cake. My hubby would love it - thanks for the very timely suggestion!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. That sounds really yummy! I have a huge bag of apples to use up - always on the look out for inspiration :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ogh, that looks amazing!! I was given a big bag of apples earlier in the week so I might have to give this a go. Mmmmm!

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you for leaving a comment, it's lovely to hear from you x