September 27, 2013

sloe gin




Sloes are the fruit of the blackthorn tree. Small, dark and exceedingly bitter, the fruits look like miniature damsons.

We found a handful of blackthorn trees in a nearby forest clearing, and over the past few days we have been harvesting the fruits to make sloe gin. The resulting liqueur is syrupy and warming, perfect for a cold winter's evening.

The best time to pick sloes is after the first frost so that the fruit starts to break down. However you can pick them now and either freeze them overnight or prick the skins with a pin to get the juices flowing.

Sloe gin, makes about 1 litre.
450g sloes
450g sugar
600ml gin

Put the sloes into a clean kilner jar or bottle. Add the sugar and gin and put the lid on and give it a good shake to mix. Shake daily for the next week. Thereafter shake once a week for 8-10 weeks. Strain the liquid and pour into sterilised bottles.


12 comments:

  1. Oh must go foraging ... I would love to give this a try ... thanks for sharing ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you're welcome! hope you find some! x

      Delete
  2. I have made my first batch of Sloe Gin. It's steeping in the broom cupboard. Cn't wait until Christams!

    Leanne x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, me neither! we have vats of it under the stairs, we found so many this year! x

      Delete
  3. I hope that it is tasty and that you love drinking it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh I do like a nice drink of sloe gin, my mother in law makes it every year and I must go foraging with her at some point.

    I made blackberry vodka a couple of years ago, and that was divine. It took about the same amount of time to make as well x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, yum. I don't generally go in for flavoured spirits but I have a special place in my heart for sloe gin. Your photos are really nice. I just wish I could get my hands on some sloes now! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried slow gin for the first time on our honeymoon (there was a small bottle in the hotel room) and ever since then I've been obsessed! hope you find some too x

      Delete
  6. You had me at 'gin' ;)

    Lovely photos and I bet even lovelier drinkies! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehehe... indeed! very tasty, worth a try if you haven't made it before x

      Delete
  7. YUM! My fav tipple. Can't wait to go sloe picking - and doing it now means it's ready for crimbo! yay x

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you for leaving a comment, it's lovely to hear from you x