September 20, 2013

Autumn thoughts and a catch up


There is a distinct chill in the air. After such a glorious Summer, it's a little difficult to get enthusiastic about this sudden drop in temperature, though there are certain Autumn delights I am looking forward to... homemade soups and jams, crisp mornings, golden leaves and woodland walks, cosy knits and boots.

I've also been pinning inspiring and somewhat romantic images to my Autumn pinterest board to remind me that this season is just as lovely as Summer.

One of the bonuses that come with owning a house with a garden is that we have inherited a towering apple tree. It is starting to drop the fruit at a rather alarming rate, so I must start thinking up ways to use up the apples. I started with an apple cake last week.

We've also been picking wild blackberries as often as possible, always a real joy at this time of year. They are sat patiently in the freezer, waiting to be turned into jams and crumbles. I also found a recipe for blackberry curd, which sounds delicious.



The house renovations have also started in earnest. I started, rather tamely, with the fireplace in our bedroom and am still scraping at the vestiges of the paint several weeks later. I think I must have removed about 6 layers in total, starting with white, then cream, various reds, greens and blues.

Last weekend we stripped all of the wallpaper in the bedrooms and hallway, just the sitting room left to do. Progress, at last. We've gone back to original paint there too, dark crimsons and deep teal. I've also started to paint the original wood panelling in the 2nd bedroom and upstairs hallway, covering yellow stained pine and lavender in the process.

We've started the arduous process of gathering window quotes to replace the front PVC windows with more sympathetic timber sash. Apparently the sitting room window is an odd combination of height and width and as such will require a bespoke solution... oh dear.

In between house renovations, I've also submitted a couple of pieces to This Is Your Kingdom. Read about my visits to Corfe Castle and Dancing Ledge here.




10 comments:

  1. Gosh that fireplace and wall stripping looks like a lot of work Charmaine. Great job though when it is done and I am sure that it will look wonderful when it is done. Good luck with the quotes for the windows, hope that you find someone suitable to do the work you need. Amy xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely underestimated it! fingers crossed for the windows! thanks Amy x

      Delete
  2. I know all that stripping back is hard work when you're renovating, but I'm always fascinated by the paint colours and wallpapers you find underneath, like little pieces of social history. Gorgeous photo of the apple tree. I've picked kilos of blackberries and seriously cannot face making another pot of jelly - I may have to try curd next. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes me too! All of the original decor was so dark, it is intriguing isn't it! I made the jam today, still have bags of them in the freezer like you, so I definitely think a different use is called for! x

      Delete
  3. I have a recipe for apple curd on the blog somewhere that you might like :)

    It's fascinating to see what you're uncovering on those walls ... how old is your house?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ooh, I'll have a look, thank you! the house is Edwardian, built in 1910. it is really fascinating to see what is underneath isn't it... such dark colours!

      Delete
  4. I loved this post so much. You made my 6 of the Best roundup on Love All Blogs x

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have been busy.
    We have been picking blackberries as often as we can too, although I ran out of recipes very quickly and there are only so many we can eat along.

    popping over from 6 of the best on Love all Blogs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. if you haven't tried it already, Nigella's blackberry crisp (from nigella express) is a great way to use up blackberries. thanks for popping over, nice to have you here! x

      Delete

Hello! Thank you for leaving a comment, it's lovely to hear from you x