June 12, 2013

nature in the home: a favourite plant










A favourite plant was this week's challenge.... hmmm. I've mentioned here before that we don't have a garden, so this was not going to be easy. I tend to buy fresh flowers every week or so, but perhaps a favourite plant was actually meant to be growing and in soil?

We have an olive plant we bought years ago on our first trip to the Eden Project in Cornwall. In the 8 or so years we've owned it, it can't have grown more than an inch or so. I think it needs a bigger pot.

On our window sill we have a few herbs in small pots, so I have chosen mint. I love the feathery leaves and it smells divine. I originally bought it to make mint tea, but have also recently added it to a strawberry ice cream sundae. I bet it would be an interesting addition to strawberry jam too, if we ever get through the copious jars of homemade strawberry jam from last year.

I rather like it against the soft pink peonies here. Very much my colour palette at the moment, soft and delicate.

Joining in with Lou's nature in the home. See the rest of my nature in the home posts here.




14 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful! Sometimes the simplest plants are the best. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah, thanks Jen! yes I agree. I don't know what I'm going to to do when we finally get a garden... there will be too much choice! x

      Delete
  2. the smell of mint is so fresh...i buy it to sprinkle into my mopping water! love love love the peonies! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. My initial reaction was oooo nice in Pimms but then I looked more closely and mint is just beautiful x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely Charmaine! Peonies are my favourite. Just so pretty and mint sprinkled on strawberry ice cream - sounds delicious - must try xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Emily! Yes I love peonies, these ones are particularly beautiful!! x

      Delete
  5. Beautiful contrast of the dark green and pale pink. Some of my herbs are flowering and I'm amazed by their beauty every time. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Gillian! Oh amazing, I only just realised chives have flowers actually! So much to learn on the gardening front! x

      Delete
  6. The third photo is lovely, must make some peppermint tea soon and the strawberry idea sounds good too, it is the strawberry season after all, x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you! Yes, I'm loving strawberries at the moment too! x

      Delete
  7. Minty gorgeousness. I especially like the pot too, is it Orla Kiely? Lovely anyway! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Suzie! Yes it is, though it's a small storage jar rather than a special pot from the garden range. I thought it was a good use for it! x

      Delete

Hello! Thank you for leaving a comment, it's lovely to hear from you x