May 17, 2013

weekend baking: rhubarb and ginger crumble cake



As it's Friday (finally), I thought it would be nice to share a recipe. This is a perfect weekend bake, the recipe is deceptively simple and the result is heavenly!

I love rhubarb, I'm hoping to grow some when we have a garden. My default recipe is a crumble, though recently I have been spicing it up by adding stem ginger. This week I wanted to try something a little different and after seeing a rhubarb crumble cake online, decided to try it out.

I started with this recipe by Rachel Allen, adapting it very slightly as I went along. I think this recipe could be easily adapted for other fruits too. I'm thinking apples or pears, blackberries or even plums in place of rhubarb, would all work.

prep:
Preheat oven to 180 degrees, grease a 23cm springform cake tin and line the base with baking parchment.

for the filling:
400g rhubarb, cut into 1" pieces
100g light brown sugar
1 tsp ground ginger

for the crumble:
100g plain flour
1/4 tsp baking powder
75g butter, cubed
75g light soft brown sugar
25g flaked almonds
25g sunflower seeds
25g chopped hazelnuts

for the sponge:
100g butter, softened
100g unrefined caster sugar (normal would be fine)
2 large eggs
2 tbsp milk
1/2 tsp ground ginger
175g plain flour
pinch of salt
1 tsp baking powder

1. place the rhubarb, sugar and ginger in a saucepan and simmer for about 5 minutes until the rhubarb is tender but not completely soft. Remove from heat and leave to cool.
2. sift the plain flour and baking powder into a bowl and add the butter. Rub together until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Add the sugar and nuts, mix to combine and set aside.
3. cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the eggs one at a time, then whisk in the ginger and milk. Sift over the flour, baking powder and salt and gently fold into the batter until combined.
4. spoon the batter into the cake tin, cover with the rhubarb and sprinkle the crumble mix on top. Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes until golden on top and cooked in the centre.
5. allow to cool slightly before removing from the tin. Dredge with icing sugar and serve with whipped cream.

notes:
1. I have a fan oven so reduced the oven temperature to 170.
2. the original recipe suggests adding water to the rhubarb. I had to drain it a little before spooning on top of the sponge batter. Next time I would omit the water to start and only add some if the rhubarb started to stick to the saucepan base.
3. I covered the tin with a piece of foil about halfway through cooking to prevent the crumble from burning on top


I would love to know if you have any other rhubarb recipes you have tried and loved, as I still have another pack in the fridge! Have a great weekend x




4 comments:

  1. Mmmm - a crumble cake, that's like having the best of both worlds. Delicious cold with cream or warmed with custard I imagine! Thanks for sharing the recipe. Enjoy your weekend. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY WORD! That is perfection to me - crumble - cake - rhubarb - ginger? Heaven! I'll be trying this one - thank you!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe...thank you! would love to know what you think if you do try it x

      Delete

Hello! Thank you for leaving a comment, it's lovely to hear from you x