May 12, 2013

the hexagon quilt: 4 months on




Yesterday I gathered my little hexagons and settled on the sofa. Chris was working, so the resulting free time enabled me to make progress with my hexagon quilt.



It almost looks like a piece of stained glass when held against the late afternoon sun. I love the little stitches and workings on the back, almost more than the front. Since these photos were taken last weekend, I've added additional hexagons around the edge, so the top is now nearing completion.




It seems so long since I started this project. At first, I was extra careful to cut the paper pieces and fabric with precision. Now I have relaxed into a more natural flow, realising that most edges can be sewn into submission with a little determination.

Now I'm thinking about the next step; securing the top to the other layers to construct the actual 'quilt'. I'm definitely feeling a little apprehensive... it must be the fear of the unknown, though I am loving the learning curve of this quilt so far.




17 comments:

  1. Wow, it looks spectacular. Absolutely worth all the work xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Nell! Yes I think so, thanks so much for your lovely comment xx

      Delete
  2. oh my gosh i want it! hehe well done, it looks brill x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! It's a thing of beauty! Those liberty fabrics are perfect and your choice of colours work so well. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Gillian, that's so kind! I'm happy with how it has turned out so far :) x

      Delete
  4. Oh my ... that is one of the most beautiful quilts I have ever seen ... the fabrics are amazing together ... you must be delighted ... Bee x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah Bee, thank you! I'm really happy with it so far x

      Delete
  5. wow! looking great. what a satisfying project. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Fran! I'm really enjoying it x

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's beautiful! I would love to have a go at making a quilt, but I wouldn't know where to start! Do you sew the paper in with the fabric and then remove it afterwards? I've got books out of the library in the past, but it's seemed really complicated and I'm not sure i've got the patience!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicola, thank you! Yes I know the feeling. I started with a very simple block quilt (just rectangles sewn together). There is some more information about that here: http://thelittlenestbox.blogspot.co.uk/2011/03/spring-quilt-tutorial.html. I found this beginner's guide by Flossie at Flossie Teacakes very useful when I started this quilt: http://flossieteacakes.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/english-paper-piecing-where-to-begin.html. I also like the Liberty Sewing book, as the instructions are easy to follow and there are plenty of diagrams. Making a hand-pieced quilt is a slow process (but I like that) but actually quite simple when you get the hang of it, also you can sit on the sofa rather than up to a sewing machine which I find more sociable. If you want to try, I say go for it! x

      Delete
  8. Charmaine this is just beautiful! You must have so much patience, it really is an incredible feat! Super clever! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Emily, so kind! Yes I have more patience than I thought! x

      Delete
  9. oh boy i am certainly sending a bit of quilt love your way over this! that is gorgeous! i am a sewer but its all freestyle machine work, nothing that requires precision but a hexy quilt is so tempting, may even be inspired to start my own soon xxxxx

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you for leaving a comment, it's lovely to hear from you x