February 03, 2013



I'm making steady progress with the hexagon quilt. It's oddly satisfying to make such tiny stitches, probably 15-20 per inch.

I had ordered the paper pieces but it transpired the shop was out of stock and wouldn't be getting any for a few weeks. As I am impatient, I decided to cut them myself using this site to make the templates. This took a long time...

Once I had the paper pieces I cut my fabric, using a cardboard hexagon 1/4 inch larger as a guide. I used a fabric glue pen to attach the fabric to the paper pieces as it is faster than basting.


Once I had a pleasing pile of fabric hexagons I started piecing the quilt together, starting with a central flower and working outwards.






So far I have 5 completed star blocks and I'm loving it.

I enjoy making tiny stitches, manipulating each piece in my hands, trying to figure out the most economic way to stitch them together, trying to reduce the amount of times I knot the seam and start somewhere else.

I think I might be hooked...


6 comments:

  1. So beautiful ... I really love the blue fabric ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ah thank you Bee! Yes the blue is one of my favourites, I like the fact it is quite modern next to the florals... it's called Mitsi by Liberty x

      Delete
  2. It's so beautiful! Looks like a lot of hard work but so worth it in the end. Colleen x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Col! it is but it is also oddly calming... until my hands seize anyway! x

      Delete
  3. So far it looks gorgeous. I LOVE your choice of liberty fabrics, some of my favourites are in there. I can see how it must be addictive and so i must not, ever, start one!

    Gillian x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Gillian! it was so hard to pick fabrics, but I'm happy with the combinations we have! yes it is so addictive :) x

      Delete

Hello! Thank you for leaving a comment, it's lovely to hear from you x