January 24, 2013

1930s hexagon quilt from nebraskahistory.org

About a month ago I started thinking about making a hexagon EPP quilt. English Paper Piecing is a method of using paper to stabilise the fabric. After wrapping the fabric around each paper piece and basting in place, you hand sew each piece together to form a quilt.

I don't have any quilting experience really but I do like a challenge! I made this quilt a couple of years ago and although I love it, I have never been completely happy with the fabric choices. I haven't forgotten about this quilt project by the way, it will just have to be made another day.

I'm using the beautiful 1930s quilt above as inspiration. I sketched out a few designs until I figured out something workable for the scale of my quilt. My hexagons will be approximately 2 inches across. That's quite a bit bigger than on the antique quilt, which must have taken months to complete.



Next was a trip here to swoon over all of the fabrics. After much umm-ing and ahh-ing, we came back with a little bundle of florals, which are now pre-washed.


I've started to cut my hexagons and will post my progress here soon. I'll also post on my instagram feed.

I think this will take a few weeks (or maybe months depending on how fast I am) to piece together. I hope I have the patience! Though I think the actual piecing will be relatively straight forward. It's the actual quilting I'm mildly concerned about as it will probably need to be hand-sewn too. I guess I'll deal with that obstacle when I get there!



8 comments:

  1. That vintage quilt is so beautiful. I love your pretty fabric choices, sounds like its going to be gorgeous. Cant wait to see your progress. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes isn't it lovely! Thanks Caroline, I've made some progress cutting and attaching the hexagons so the next step is to start stitching them together... eek! x

      Delete
  2. How did you ever choose your fabrics from all of the choice at libertys! Can't wait to see it!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ha! we were there for ages, so many to choose from! x

      Delete
  3. Oh how exciting ... can't wait to see how you get on ... the vintage quilt is beautiful ... Bee xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very, very gorgeous fabrics you've got there - it's going to be lovely!

    Gillian x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Gillian! I don't suppose you can go wrong with Liberty :) x

      Delete

Hello! Thank you for leaving a comment, it's lovely to hear from you x