September 19, 2012

Nigella's blackberry crisp




I love blackberries... I can't quite believe they're free to pick to be honest!

This is my favourite blackberry recipe, and the one I make most often when I want a quick and easy pudding.

Nigella's blackberry crisp from Nigella Express. Serves 4-6:

125g butter
60g porridge oats
40g flaked almonds
30g sunflower seeds
70g plain flour
1 tsp ground cinnamon
75g soft light brown sugar
500g blackberries
2 tsp cornflour
50g caster sugar

1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Melt the butter in a small saucepan and put to one side.
2. Combine the oats, almonds, sunflower seeds, flour, cinnamon and brown sugar in a bowl.
3. Tip the blackberries into a wide, shallow baking dish. Sprinkle over the cornflour and caster sugar and tumble to mix.
4. Stir the melted butter into the dry ingredients and spoon on top of the blackberries.
5. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes. Serve with ice cream or thick cream.

I usually freeze blackberries after picking and washing them, and I use frozen ones here - they defrost in the oven. If I don't have all of the topping ingredients I use what I have and make up to the same amount. Pumpkin seeds, whole almonds, walnuts etc all work. If you don't have enough blackberries a mix of blackberries and apples or pears will work too.

Do you have any favourite blackberry recipes? I'd love to hear them. We picked loads more at the weekend and after jam I think we'll still have some left over!

p.s. have you entered the giveaway yet? If not, enter here.


4 comments:

  1. Ooh that looks fab AND we have blackberries! I do love a bit of Nigella...I saw she has a new book out and on the cover shes gone all skinny! No curvy Nigella anymore!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe! Yes I love Nigella, and you're right she does look a little slimmer on her new book. It's just arrived from amazon, and I'm looking forward to working through it :) x

      Delete
  2. Oh I love that recipe - its perfect for an autumn pudding! Yum yum! x

    ReplyDelete

Hello! Thank you for leaving a comment, it's lovely to hear from you x