June 21, 2012

new york, new york



When June comes around, I always think about visiting NY. Before I set up littlenestbox, I was the bag and accessory buyer at net-a-porter. I travelled to NY (as well as Rome, Paris and Milan) 3 times a year.

June was my favourite time because it was Cruise market (a sort of holiday/vacation collection which would arrive on the site in October), and New York was my favourite trip. Some of my favourite buying appointments were in NY... Marc Jacobs and Marc by Marc Jacobs, DVF and Alexander Wang.

The Cruise buying trip was way more relaxed than normal. We would have a bit more time for each appointment, and I always managed to squeeze in a trip to some shops, Central Park or a couple of art galleries.


credit: Gustav Klimt (detail) and unknown


credit: Edgar Degas and Georges-Pierre Seurat (detail)


credit: Jasper Johns


credit: Big Bambu by the Starn Brothers, installation above the Met Gallery

My very favourite NY hotel was The Bowery Hotel. It was perfect! Great rooms, amazing views and walking distance to soho! The restaurant and bar are lovely too.



We also stayed at the Standard Hotel. I didn't love the location as much, but it was still a pretty nice hotel! The hotel was next to the High Line, a park built on an old rail line. The mini bar was pretty special. The view wasn't bad either!





Time does fly, doesn't it. I left my job 2 years ago. There are things I miss and things I don't. I miss visiting Paris and New York, my appointments and that staff discount! I don't miss the constant travelling, the pressure and the flights (oh so many flights). I feel much more settled now, and am enjoying the roller coaster ride of setting up my own business! I would like to go to NY again though, so I might have to start saving up!

8 comments:

  1. love the high line. i was walking down it with my friend bee last time we were there and she was telling me that ethan hawke did voice for the audio tour, which led to us doing silly impressions of him. 2 minutes later he walked passed us. the funniest thing ever!

    didn't know you had such a swish job before, i'm sure there are many pros and cons to leaving a job like that. but i'm glad you're happy. stress in life is not good. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, that's hilarious! It's the best place for celeb spotting isn't it, it seems you can barely walk down the road without seeing some celeb or other!

      ah yes. It was an amazing job, but it was just too crazy! I sometimes think I might like to do something similar again, perhaps open my own little shop... we'll see! though where the money for that will come from, I don't know! x

      Delete
  2. Wow Charmaine you had a very glamourous lifestyle! But it's so good that you left and set up on your own, you make such lovely things. I've never been to New York but I long to go so much. Maybe we should all save up and have a bloggers holiday?! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe, yes a world away from felt! it is empowering to leave something like that and be able to cope (though I did make sure I saved some money first). thank you for saying such nice things! NY is as amazing as everyone says, so much to see and do, and eat... I've had some of the best meals ever there! And, yes to a blogger's holiday... how amazing would that be!

      Delete
  3. I love New York! I've only been once but I would love to go again. Your old job sounds amazing but I can imagine it must have been incredibly stressful! Your new/current job seems pretty amazing too though! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes I think you can always find things to do on another visit! it had it's moments! I love what I'm doing now x

      Delete
  4. Err, wow! What an incredibly glamorous sounding job. One day, can you give us a tour of your handbag collection? I'm already imagining it's spectacular! It must be hard to leave what everyone imagines to be a "dream job", well done for taking that leap.

    I love New York, we've been a few times but never for more than a few days at a time so we only scratch the surface of the things there are to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. hehe! actually the handbag collection is pretty limited... shoes is another story though :-)

      Delete

Hello! Thank you for leaving a comment, it's lovely to hear from you x