June 01, 2012

the kitchen diaries


I just bought a copy of Nigel Slater's 'the kitchen diaries' and I love it!

I really like his cooking style because he seems to improvise depending on the ingredients he has to hand and generally works with seasonal ingredients, but also because he seems to have more of an emphasis on savoury than sweet. I have a million baking books, but I often get stuck on what to have for lunch or dinner. I'm vegetarian too, which narrows down the options somewhat.

This week I made the linguine above, it only took about 10 minutes and it was amazing. Savoury, sharp and fragrant - perfect!

Lemon and Basil Linguine (serves 2)

200g linguine (I used fettuccine as it is what I had to hand)
juice of a large lemon
75ml olive oil
75g parmesan, grated
large handful basil leaves

Put a large pan of water onto boil. When boiling, salt generously and add linguine. Cook for 8 minutes or to pack instruction. Put lemon juice, olive oil and parmesan into a large warm bowl (warm the bowl by putting under a hot tap and then dry it) and beat briefly until thick and grainy. Tear the basil and add to the bowl with a grinding of black pepper. Drain the pasta and toss in the lemon and parmesan 'sauce'.

I am already addicted to this book, marking recipes and becoming absorbed in his writing. Do you have any favourite cookery writers or recipes? If so, I'd love to hear about them. I'm always trying to find something new and inspiring to try out!



8 comments:

  1. I have written about Nigel Slater before - I love his books and the way he writes about food. I also like the way Nigella writes - her first book, 'How to Eat' is one of my favourites and I don't think she has bettered it. Your linguine looks lovely x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I love his style of writing too, almost conversational. I love Nigella. I met her at a book signing and she was awesome, I came over all shy! Along with Mum, Nigella taught me how to cook! x

      Delete
  2. I should have learnt by now not to read blog posts about food before my dinner is ready my mouth is watering!! Looks lovely- Nigel Slater is awesome, his Simple Suppers series was brilliant. Janine @ Lesley's Girls x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! yes I liked simple suppers too. love a quick fix meal x

      Delete
  3. Oh yum, that looks delish and it's so simple to make too... x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes it was really simple, a new favourite! x

      Delete
  4. I bought the kitchen diaries a few years ago and love it. The spag bol recipe in there is amazing. He writes so beautifully. I will second Karen and say that How To Eat is Nigella's best book and an excellent addition to any kitchen library. And Rachel Allen, Jamie Olive, Rose Prince - Kitchenella is fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I only discovered him a couple of years ago. Strangely I don't use How To Eat as much of some of Nigella's other books, I think Domestic Goddess is my favourite, mainly because it involves a lot of cakes! Thanks for the recommendations too, will def check them out! x

      Delete

Hello! Thank you for leaving a comment, it's lovely to hear from you x